A new dog owners association is being created to develop a dog park in Central Suffolk County. Called Central Suffolk Paws, the group, which is affiliated with LI-DOG, is looking for people interested in helping to create a dog park in central Brookhaven Township.
Three years ago, the Town of Brookhaven opened the Middle Island Dog Park, promising that if that dog park was successful, it would be the model for dog parks opened in the Town’s five other districts. Since then, the Town has not created a single new dog park. Meanwhile, it has spent money building and improving ball fields and other recreational facilities throughout the Town. “It’s time that recreational opportunities were created for people with dogs,” said Irene Rabinowitz, the dog owner and local business person behind the new group. Irene is a co-founder of Barks-n-Bubbles Boutique, a do-it-yourself dog grooming establishment in Centereach. “I know there are so many other people who feel the same way I do,” she said.
The idea of a new dog park in central Brookhaven has gotten support in the past from elected officials and others involved in Brookhaven’s economic development. However, it will never happen without a strong, organized group of local dog owners committed to getting a new dog park designated and built.
What you can do to help:
- Download the Central Suffolk Paws petition and ask your family and friends to sign it. The more people who sign, the more consideration elected officials will give our cause. Go here to get the petition.
- Email, call or write Brookhaven Town Councilwoman Kathleen Walsh at councilwomanwalsh@Brookhaven.org, 631-451-6647, One Independence Hill, Farmingville, NY 11738
- Email, call or write Suffolk County Legislator Tom Muratore at Tom.Muratore@suffolkcountyny.gov, 631-854-9292,325 Middle Country Rd., Suite 3, Selden, NY 11784
- Check out and “friend” the Barks-n-Bubbles Boutique Facebook page and then sign the online petition. By providing your email address, you’ll be added to Central Suffolk Paws’ list to get updates
- Or, at any time stop by Barks-n-Bubbles at 1800B Middle Country Rd., Centereach, phone 631-456-5362!
Please tell our elected officials and anyone else you know, we need a dog park in Central Suffolk!